Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Javarsi Vadam


When you hear the word "Vadam" from anywhere i am the first to go and finish it .Wow man too good!!!!! .In India amma used to make it every year and stock it and later fry them and give it to us .But here is Us who is there pa ..No one to prepare for me and give .I did not like the ones which you get it in the stores ..So i decided to make it my self .My friends told me that it would be of too strain ..but i tell u guys , if i want to eat something i am really not worried to take the pains .

vathals , vaadam i am first. Our's is a walkout basement ..so was even more convenient to try it out .For the first time i made it came out really well .If we have it suda suda sambhar ,rasam and potato curry ...enna combha pa ...too good ...how much rice goes inside your body ..no count at all ...

I thought i could share with all you guys the way i prepare vadam at home.Would all like to take a ride with me in this ...

Raw Materials Required

1 lb -Javarsi
8-9 Green Chilli
4 tsp rice flour
Little Hing
2 lemon -(extract juice)

Preparation Style
Take the javarsi in a bowl and soak them in water for about 5-6 hours.Preferable if you soak by eveg 3 p.m it should be fine .Then say by 9 wash it with cold water and grind the javarsi in to paste.When u grind it see that you add 4 tsp of rice flour.
This helps to maintian the color of the vadam.
Keep this aside.Then take a big cooker and fill it with half water and pour the mixture.Then grind the green chilli and pour it into the cooker .Add hing to it also .Keep stirring the mixture for about 1 to 1.5 hours .You will seen the shine of the javasri coming out.Then add salt to it .The color of the mixture will start to change from white to transparent one .Then off the gas and close the cooker.
Next day morning it would become thick .The add lime to the thick mixture and mix it well .Then in a small bowl take little of the mixture and add enough water to loosen it up .


Then in a plastic sheet with the help of the small spoon pour little in a circle forum .Let the entire thing dry in the sun .It would be most preferred to do it on a sunny day .Then the next day you could see the vadam coming out from the sheet automatically as it is dried .Take it out and fry it oil ...Too good man .There would be a little strain for pouring the circle in the sheet but that is ok .
If we want something tasty then we need to strain rite ....!!!!!Enjoy maadi Ladies
This Month is Lakshmi's Veggie Cuisine
.I saw many of our blog friends have prepared traditional recipes like sambhar,rasam .This vadam would add a excellent combho to all of them .Thank to Lakshmi for hosting this .

24 comments:

FH said...

Every summer I make this same way and reserve them for winter.We call them Sandiges in Kannada and I love it with rice and sambhar!:))

Looks great.

DEEPA said...

Thks asha for that ....i love it too with sambhar esp on a sunday lunch time menu , it is must for us

USHA said...

Hi Deepa,

Thanks for visiting myblog and dropping your valuable comment over there.
Hey You really remembered me mymom and my aunties...I can now remember in hot sun,carrying all the container which consists of vatham batter...and help our parents..

This dish always have some homely touch dear,even while i started to U.S my mom packed me a big pack, which we are enjoying here.

DEEPA said...

hey usha ...my mom also packed some for me when i came to us ..still she keeps sending me thru somebody ...thks u usha for stopping by

Bharathy said...

great great recipe...good photos too..wonderful entry(perfect)for RCi..My mom in law makes vadams 4-5 types have not bothered to learn..But help her with pouring and peeling part...we use white cloth for koozh vadavam...
Nice..

Sreelu said...

Usha , this is amazing, My mom used to make it. I never attempted it.I love them when they are half dried, its crunchy and guiee.

Great job

DEEPA said...

hey bharathy ....thks for the comment .actually we could do loads of variations in making of this vadam .some people add tomato , and jeera etc...but my mom used to make like this .I used to also help amma in pouring and peeling ...Flash back rombha paaaa!!!!1

Thks sreeelu !!!i used to also love eating it half dried ....

Ramya's Mane Adige said...

Hey, you actually made them yourself!!! thats gr8.... It must have been quite time consuming and difficult, isn't it??They look lovely!!!

DEEPA said...

Hey ramya !!thks a lot ..little bit time consuming but to eat something like this its ok

bee said...

thanks for droppin by, deepa. it's great to discover your blog. have added you to our blogroll.

Prema Sundar said...

Hi Deepa ,
My Mother in law makes wonderful javarisi vadaams in summer. she makes it and stores it so that it can be used throught the year. I have this with me now also and used to fry them often. loves it with sambar and rasam.

Bong Mom said...

You got such cute shapes here. Not sure if I have ever had them, is it like papad ?

DEEPA said...

Hey sandeepa ...You have to pour the liquid with a help of the spoon in the sheet .So it would stand out like the small circle .It is almost a staple papad for tamil cuisine .Apart from this we cook rice papad.When u go to india you can for sure taste them .But of course here we have the same stuff in the indian stores but sometimes they taste different .But this is home made ...So got to be different .

Deepa Hari said...

Hi Deepa,
Nice Vadams...but needs a lot of effort, right...you have done a good job..they taste great with rice...never tried making it...Thanks for sharing.

Sharmi said...

WAW thats a great entry for RCI. real good dear. cant we bake it?

DEEPA said...

hey sharmi ...i am not sure abt baking this vadam ..but it taste good when we micro wave it for 30 secs

Kribha said...

You brought back memories of my childhood Deepa. Never thought of attempting this before. will try out your recipe sometime. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

what is javarshi, can i use normal rice which we use daily.

jyothi

Anonymous said...

how thick should the plastic sheet be... can i use bags given in stores...because i want to try this... help me pl.. by viji(UK)

Anonymous said...

You know ,I have some maple mesos,and my friend also has some mesos,do you kouw they have the same meaning,Both of them can be called
maple story mesos,I just want to
maplestory mesos,because there are many
cheap mesos

Anonymous said...

You know ,I have some requiem gold,and my friend also has some
requiem lant,do you kouw they have the same meaning,Both of them can be called requiem money,I just want to
requiem online gold,because there are many
cheap requiem lant

Ephesus said...

I loved every moment of our tour. Istanbul, cappadocia and ephesus are fantastic city. We saw so many historical places and guide was very informative. We definitely recommend it. http://www.packagetoursturkey.com - http://www.touroperatoristanbul.com We visited Istanbul for the first time on your tour turkey tours we are from Cappadocia tours Greece and we just loved it! istanbul tours We finally were able to see sights that we had only heard from our friends who visited I have to say that this trip was fantastic. I had a great time in Turkey. Everything went on very well actually much better than we expected istanbul travel Our guide was very friendly and ephesus tours he knew all details of history. Thanks for everything.

Anonymous said...

gooddd blogs
Kurdele Nakıs Teknikleri Resimleri desenlerini yapıtır eldekurdele işinden örnekler

Anonymous said...

hooolaaa blogsss
Bodrum Travel Turkey Bodrum holiday gooo videos photo hiii nice tours turkeyi