Friday, December 14, 2007

Tomato Rice

Tomato are very rich in viatmins . Many of us use tomatoes in our everyday menu.I make tomato rice quite often .They are really easy and simple to prepare. Here is my way ..


Raw Materials Required

Tomatoes - 4
Onions -1 diced
Green chilli -2 chopped
Green peas - 1 cup
Garlic -2 cloves
Jeera -1 tsp
Fennel seeds -1 tsp
Haldi -1 tsp
Red chilli powder-1/2 tsp
Sambhar powder -1/2 tsp
Mustard seeds -1/2 tsp
Coriander leaves handful
Salt as per desired
Basmati rice -1 cup
Oil - 3 tsp

Preparation Style


In a small kadai add oil and mustard seeds.When they start to crack add jeera, fennel seeds and fry for a minute. Then add onion ,green chili, garlic and fry them until they turn light brown.After sometime add the chopped tomatoes, and cook till tomatoes are a bit mashed and start to loose water . Add haldi ,chilli powder and sambhar powder and allow it to cook well.After 5 mts or so add the green peas and off the gas.
On the other side cook the basmati rice separately.Once the tomatoes are cooked, mix the rice and tomatoes together and garnish with Coriander leaves. Serve it hot with cold cucumber ratia..


18 comments:

USHA said...

Hi Deepa,

Hmm..i like tomato rice very much...yours looks gr8 and simple too.....

KALVA said...

Wow Deepa.. looks so simple i bet must have tasted great!!

EC said...

Even i love tomato rice...perfect looking

Raks said...

lovely looking tomato rice deepa!

Kribha said...

It's been 2 weeks since I've eaten this. Your plate has tempted me enough. Will do it tomorrow. Thanks for sharing your version.

Padmaja said...

I had this tomato rice first time at my sis in law's place till then we never made these as dad never used to like tomatoes!!
Its heavnely with gravies n raitha isin't it!!
Lovely recipe!!

Anonymous said...

I love rice, and this is a new way for me. I am going to add a link to your post to my rice post. Yum.

VegeYum

Rajitha said...

yum..it is my fav..i used to take this for lunch easily 3 times a week when i was in school..has been too long since i made it!!

Finla said...

It looks delicious. and the picture so neat

Prema Sundar said...

love tomato rice ..nice pic

Mythreyee said...

This is one dish I prepare atleast once a week. I try different version each time. Gotta try yours sometime soon. Thanks.

Seema said...

Yum Yum Deepa...Looks lovely. Long since i made it too!

Seena said...

Deepa,me too had drafted one.But your s is little different. Any way next time will try this variation.

Srivalli said...

looks great deepa...

Cynthia said...

I like and make tomato rice too. It is such a simple dish that really stands out if offered when entertaining.

Laavanya said...

I love tomato rice but haven't made it this way.. Usually cook the masala and rice together. Looks yummy Deepa.

Anonymous said...

You know ,I have some maple mesos,and my friend also has some mesos,do you kouw they have the same meaning,Both of them can be called
maple story mesos,I just want to
maplestory mesos,because there are many
cheap mesos

Roxy said...

Costa rica tours, shopping online, costa rica fishing, jaco fishing charters, costa rica whale watching, costa rica dolphin watching, costa rica party boat, panama fishing, fishing costa rica los suenos, los suenos fishing charters, costa rica fishing los suenos, los suenos costa rica fishing, costa rica los suenos fishing, fishing costa rica los suenos, los suenos fishing charters, costa rica fishing los suenos, los suenos costa rica fishing charters, costa rica los suenos fishing, Los suenos fishing, Fishing costa rica los suenos, Costa Rica Rafting, http://www.kingtours.com/.